I got a letter from Tesco this morning. On the back it said “Haven’t gone green yet? Open now to see how easy it is.”
For those not living in the UK, Tesco is a massive supermarket chain. To give you an idea how big, out of every £8 spent in the UK on retail £1 of it is spent in Tesco. It’s also the 4th largest retailer in the world. It’s fairly big.
I’m assuming this green letter was sent to all clubcard holders and they weren’t just picking on me for throwing a bottle in the bin or something. According to Wiki there are 13 million active clubcard members in the UK.
- 13 million full colour envelopes with
- 13 million little plastic windows sealed with
- 13 million bits of glue containing
- 26 million full colour pieces of paper held together with
- 26 million metal staples delivered by
- Loads of postmen and women (I couldn’t find out how many) using
- Loads of vans (with or without black and white cats) drinking
- A shed load of diesel or petrol
To tell me to recycle my plastic bags which if I do will earn me points that I can spend on food from Tesco that will be sold in huge packaging to con me into thinking the meal is massive.
It’s a good job the paper was recycled. Sainsbury’s sent an email to say the same thing, I’m not sure if they recycled the ones and zeros.